About my Workshops
I love shooting dancers. I love teaching. I love inspiring other photographers to elevate their work with dancers, giving them the skills they need to create the images they dream about.
All of my workshops are small in size, designed for personal attention to each participant. Unlike many workshops, our focus is not on developing a volume of images for your portfolio, but rather giving you the skills you need to confidently work with dancers. Through discussion, demonstrations, guided shooting practices and personal mentoring, each workshop is a constant flow of information. You will feel inspired, confident, and gain the tools to achieve the next level in your dance photography.
I’m passionate about helping dancers, dance companies and the dance industry move forward and become a more centralized part of our lives. Spreading beauty and inspiration has never been a more powerful tool, and it is needed now more than ever! I love helping other photographers on their paths to achieve that and it makes me excited to pass on some of my knowledge to you.
Upcoming Workshop Dates
August 2nd, 2020 Virtual Workshop
September 18th, 2020 Virtual Workshop
September 25th, 2020 Virtual Workshop
October 16th, 2020 Virtual Workshop
Workshop Day 1
This day will be ½ discussion/demonstration and ½ shooting with dancers
Working with Dancers
- Strategies for shooting different types of dancers
- How to prepare yourself and your dancers
- Basic dance vocabulary and best practices for dancer communication
- Timing/Focusing for accuracy of shooting
- Lenses: appropriate usage and choice
- Equipment and studio lighting
- Light modifiers and their uses
Working the Shoot
- Setup and workflow for shooting tethered
- Shaping the body and poses with light
- Posing dancers
Workshop Day 2
This day will be 1/4 discussion and 3/4 shooting with dancers
- Image dissection and discussion
- Working with multiple lights
- Building and conceptualizing a shot - Inspiration and idea building
- Shoot workflow best practices to get the most out of your dancer
- Posing and finessing a dancer’s technique
What a pleasure meeting you, seeing your space and hearing your expertise! I can honestly say I am inspired to be a better business woman and a more confident creative photographer. Thank you again! I loved it!
- Heather Sachleben, Heather Renee Photography
Easily it was one of the most rewarding experiences I have had yet. The environment was really inviting, I learned a ton about dance photography, and made some really great friends. Overall a great experience.
Probably the most inspiring thing I saw was how genuine you were and ready to share what you knew with other photographers with the intent of helping us succeed and us helping more dancers succeed. There should be more people like you!
- Emily Northrop, Photographer
I attended Rachel's workshop not only as an individual with a long history from waaay back in the dance/performing arts world, but also as a photographer who's spent a decade prioritizing many different genres in the industry...I'd lost the spark for my work, and made a strong effort to get back into the dance community with my camera last year... Rachel's way of teaching was the perfect hybrid between "understanding my artist/dance nerd" personality , and giving me the strong corrections I needed to hear. She was consistent but fun, and touched on everything each of us wanted to learn, while magically giving us a safe environment in which to bring our visions to life.
- Angel Dibbs, Angel Dibbs Photo